1. Calbee Jagabee Potato Sticks$3.80 per pack, available at NTUC FairPrice, Cold Storage and selected convenience stores.
I don’t know what they put in these, but they’re REALLY addictive. Calbee Jagabee potato sticks are great for the office because they come in smaller, individual packets – which means you don’t have to deal with dozens of germy hands reaching into the same bag of potato chips as you. It comes in three flavours, but seaweed is the tastiest.
2. Bourbon Soy Milk Wafers$5.00 per pack, available at selected Cold Storage outlets, including Paragon and Raffles City.
When I first discovered Bourbon Soy Milk Wafers, I was kind of dubious about it because the packaging description was all in Japanese…but the 80 calories thing had me convinced enough to try it. Anyway, it’s a good thing I bought them because they’re now my favourite snack of all time. The wafers are coated with a light layer of soy-flavoured cream – flavourful but not too jelak. Trust the Japanese to invent a tasty and low-calorie snack. By the way, if you find that they’re sold out at the Raffles City supermarket, it’s probably because I snatched them all. #noshame
3. Loacker Minis Wafers$5.85 per pack, available at NTUC FairPrice, Cold Storage and selected convenience stores.
If you’re feeling that post-lunch drop in energy levels (read: you feel like napping at your desk), pop one of these chocolate wafers for a sugar boost. The Loacker Minis wafers come in several flavours, but Hazelnut is by far the best. Just avoid eating too many of these, or you’ll get a sore throat (“Too heaty!” as my mother would say).
4. Barbara’s Snackimals Cookies$5.90 per pack, available at Tanglin Marketplace and selected supermarkets.
I don’t know who Barbara is, but she is now my life idol for inventing Snackimals (which is currently one of my favourite snacks). These cholesterol-free cookies are supposed to be a healthier alternative to regular biscuits, and as an added bonus, they actually taste good too. The cookies come in a re-sealable bag, and are great for quelling any pre-lunch hunger pangs. Flavours include Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip, Peanut Butter, Double Chocolate, Snickerdoodle and Vanilla.
5. Meiji Gummy Choco$5.80 per tube, available at Cold Storage, Isetan and leading supermarkets.
These chocolate coated gummy balls are perfect if you’re craving a hint of chocolate – the balls are quite small, but they pack quite a punch. It comes in a few different flavours, including Apple, Peach and Muscat (Grape), but I always go with the mix tube because I like eating colourful snacks.