5 THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT VIVIENNE WESTWOOD
1. A quirky British designer who was once a primary school teacher, Vivienne Westwood gained fame for bringing punk to mainstream fashion in the 1970s. Her then partner, Malcom McLaren, was the manager of punk band Sex Pistols.
2. Together with Malcom McLaren, Vivienne Westwood opened a store called ‘Let It Rock’ in the early 1970s. The store sold all sorts of outrageous outfits, including bondage gear, razor blades, lavatory chains and spiked dog collars in their designs back then.
Westwood with Mclaren at their store for an interview. (Source: Paulgormanis)
3. In a 1993 fashion show in Paris, Vivienne Westwood collaborated with Canadian-British designer Patrick Cox to create a pair of 9-inch platform heels for supermodel Naomi Campbell. Unfortunately, the shoes proved to be too much of a challenge, and the famed supermodel took a spill on the catwalk.
4. Vivienne Westwood appeared on the cover of the April 1989 issue of Tatler Magazine as former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Dressed in a suit that was meant for the Iron Lady herself, the headline read “This lady was once a punk”. No prizes for guessing why Margaret Thatcher was furious. She also did not collect the suit afterwards.
(Source: Something Changed)
5. The quirky British designer infamously met the Queen without her knickers on. She had gone to Buckingham Palace to receive an award and caused quite a stir when she twirled in her dress, sans knickers. According to a source, the Queen was apparently amused by this.